About Me

Viewing Photos

CLICK on any photo in this blog to view a larger image!

Saturday, March 21, 2009

Tools of the Trade - Camera Gear I Use

I thought I would quickly list the gear I am using. For the last five years or so, I have been using a Canon 10D digital SLR with a Canon 28-135 mm F 3.5-5.6 IS USM zoom lens, a Tokina 12-24 mm F 4.0 AT-X PRO wide angle lens, and a Tokina 80-400 mm F 4.5-5.6 zoom lens. The Canon and the wide angle Tokina have been my workhorses. I also have several circular polarizers that I use often with these lens. I have a graduated ND and several ND filters as well, but have used them much less. Beyond that, I have used a small tripod and a remote trigger release.

Recently I upgraded to a Canon 50D, but have not yet taken it out to take pictures, so I have a new toy to experiment with. I also upgraded to a much nicer Manfrotto 190CXPRO4 carbon fiber tripod and an Induro DM-12 ballhead. I am looking forward to working with the new camera, tripod, and ballhead.

Lastly, I have a Canon G10 point and shoot that I take with me all the time for impromptu shots when unexpected opportunites come around. It does not have the same quality as the DSLRs, but you can't beat the convenience, or the advantage of having a camera handy when you would otherwise not. Under the right conditions, it takes excellent photos!

From the post, you might think I am a Canon fanboy. In reality, I am neutral. I got started with a Canon DSLR and never looked back because of the investments in several lens. I know many people who use Nikon (and other brands) that work just as well or better. Its more about the photographer and less about the gear.

No comments:

Post a Comment